2/5/10

Why put off until tomorrow what you could do next week?

Alternate title: procrasti-nation.

I have procrastination issues. Part of me thinks that's because I might be ADD. No, really. I saw a commercial the other day about children with ADD, and they visually described his symptoms (which is good, because there's no audio at the fitnessy center), and I totally have all of those. The other reason I think I procrastinate so much is because I have an overdeveloped lizard brain which recognizes 4/5th of everything I want to do as "terrifying" and tries to protect me from it all. Bad lizard! Bad!

So it's February now, and it's time to dive in to my February books. It's a shorter month, so I need to be a little more on the ball if I want to get things read. And that would be a lot easier if I could stop reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. They're similar in style to my Dresden Files books, but geared for YA and involving Greek mythology. Pretty darn great. I tear through them in about a day and a half, and because they're on the Kindle, no one has to know what I'm reading. Good thing there's only one more left in the series.

I've decided for February, being Black History Month, that I need to read more by African-American authors. For my non-fiction, I've downloaded a great collection from the Kindle store: W.E.B. DuBois, Booker T. Washington, essays by Zora Neale Hurston. And for my classic, I have an Octavia Butler book on my shelf that I haven't read yet, The Parable of the Sower, which I'm excited to read. "That's a classic?" you ask. Yes, it is. It's on HS reading lists... lucky kids. Octavia Butler is fantastic. If you haven't read her yet, I highly recommend Fledgling. It is to vampire stories what Twilight is to a McDonalds Two-Cheeseburger Meal. I adore the Two-Cheeseburger Meal, but feel completely sick and ashamed after eating it. Lucky for me, it's not available outside of the NY/NJ area.

Ok, enough procrastinating for now. I have a bunch of other stuff that I've been putting off that I really should get to. Ironically, I'm also putting off napping (something that people usually use as their procrastination tool). I'm stupefyingly tired. While I can do more if I get up earlier, it feels like I'm doing all of it in a pool of molasses. Maybe I need more coffee. Mmmmm... coffee. Chick-Fil-A has free coffee. I'm just saying.

No comments: