2/22/10

Step by step, ooh baby, gonna get to you girl

So I recently purchased a pedometer. It's a very basic, very cheap model from Target. Regardless, it's amazingly powerful. The pedometer has taught me that I am ridiculously sedentary. Like, the first day I got it, I took only 1100 steps. The recommended daily goal is 10,000. Getting the mail is what managed to push me across the 1K threshold.

In order to reach 10,000 steps a day, I pretty much have to go for a walk. Like, get up, put on real pants (pants without rainbow-colored reindeer), and real shoes (shoes that aren't sold in the slipper section of the LL Bean catalog), and walk around for about an hour. Because if I don't go for a walk, I'm just never going to be close. My commute? Uh, 57 steps from bedroom to living room. Lunch break? 34 steps from desk to kitchen. No, actually, I do putz around the house A LOT during the day, and it does add up. It just doesn't add up to 10,000.

It is sort of fun to see how many steps I can take. And looking down to check it feels so nostalgic, back to the days when I had a pager. The only real obstacle is an unfriendly waistband. Certain pants don't allow the pedometer to hang properly, and it cheats me out of HUNDREDS of steps. Bah.

No comments: