10/2/09

10/2/09 Friday GO!

1. Happy October! I love autumn. It's sort of different here in Florida... there's not really a "cold snap" but we do start to notice a cool breeze, which is always welcome. Mostly it means that we go from shorts to jeans. Plus, October holds my favorite holiday: L'Halloween (I like to say it en francais). We have many fun things planned for October, so there's a lot to look forward to. November is pretty great too, because Thanksgiving is delicious and we may actually take a VACATION. At this point, I don't really care where we go... Rome would be nice, Costa Rica would be super, but I'd be just as happy staying in a hotel in Central Florida somewhere and going hiking and bike riding and kayaking and swimming with manatees. I sure would like to see a manatee before the end of 2009.

2. This is going to be a short list of five things, because I have to go to Georgia in a little while. It's a very straight, easy trip. Just drive north, and get off the highway at the exit for the hotel. Also, I've timed it so that I have a full afternoon of NPR to get me through. I will pack healthy snacks, though I'm not too tempted to stop at the service plazas now that they got rid of  Starbucks and only sell hot coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Oh, I love DD, but hot coffee while driving = bad idea. I'm actually a very safe driver... no texting, no using the cell phone handset. The most I'll do is sip from a handy water bottle or iced beverage, and mess with the radio. It helps to have cruise control.

3. Solved my mobile crisis. Bought the iPod Touch, which is what I wanted from the beginning. I love it so, so, so much. I cannot imagine what I did without it. I've synced all of my email accounts, my calendars, added music and a bit of video, some fave photos, and my Evernote app (that I can't live without). Love, love, love this thing. Now all I need is a MiFi, so I'll be wireless wherever I go.

4. Working on getting up earlier. Trying not to stress out when I don't quite manage it. Plus, every day is a new opportunity to try again. I think it will be a huge help that my entire household is going to try to get up early too. We can do this! Yes, we can!

5. Am getting closer to my goal of "run a straight mile by November." Last night, I was able to do 3 consecutive parking lot laps (we run in the parking lot of a storage facility for drummy). Normally, I run one, then walk one. So that I do a minimum of 3 running laps, and still make the "required" total of 6 laps when I add in my walking. Last night, I was able to do 4 running laps total: the 3 consecutive, plus one more after a walking lap. This is great, because I remember a time in the recent past when a 20 minute set of run/walk intervals left me nearly unable to function normally (because of the pain in my back). But by going slow and working up to it (plus stretching, massage, ice, and acupuncture), my back has had the time to acclimate to the pounding.

No comments: